Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Religion


I identify myself as a Christian, but not a true Christian. I was baptized, and I went to ccd up until I made my confirmation in tenth grade. I also made my communion as well as reconciliation. When I was younger my family and I would attend church every Sunday as well as holidays such as Christmas Eve and Easter. I definitely follow my religion, but I don’t practice it. I’m not enough into my religion to consider myself a true Christian, but I definitely support it. I’m maybe more so confused than anything, but if I had to classify under a religion I would say Christian. 

Today so much religion oppression occurs. Mainly Christians oppress those that are Non Christians. It’s clear that the dominant religion is Christian. Holidays as well as the position of the “weekend” are structured around the Christian Calendar. I believe it’s not very fair that our calendar today is constructed around Christians and that most schools give off these Christian holidays but not Non-Christian holidays.  It would be all too confusing to switch up the calendar now but maybe schools and works should consider giving Non-Christian holidays off. Why should Christians be granted with the day off on their holiday and Non-Christians forced to have a day off devoted to something they don’t practice. Since that’s the case I believe it should work vice-versa as well. There’s so much discrimination about a religion that you don’t belong to. I wish that everyone could mind their own business and that people should just respect what others believe. I honestly don’t know that much about religion so maybe I just don’t understand why people discriminate so much, but I truly don’t think it’s necessary.  

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that its mainly Christians that oppress others and its unfortunate that I too identify myself as a Christian. We are extremely privileged with our holidays and the weekend schedule. I think that giving non-Christian holidays off is a great idea and other practicing religions deserve that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that other people's religions and preferences need to be reflected in calenders and schedules. I just wonder how this would be done because if every religion's holidays were recognized, it would be difficult to fit in a full year of school. I also wonder where they determined that Christian holidays would be the main holidays taken off- is it the because such a large group of people are christian? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete