Thursday, January 20, 2011

Activist


By the dictionary definition an activist is an especially active, vigorous advocate of a cause. But more importantly what is a good activist? There’s definitely a difference between just an activist and a good one. A good activist not only is active in their doings, but they are true and loyal to their idea. A good activist should be able to inspire others and should be convincing to others. A good activist is proud of what he or she is doing and they’re not afraid to speak up no matter how shut down they get. I believe a good activist is very strong and never backs down no matter how hard times get. A good activist speaks out loudly and acts out. 

            A positive as well as effective change agent would be someone who is believable. Some activist can be quite obnoxious and too aggressive. It’s awesome to speak out loudly, but fighting too hard might just chase people away. A strength that is associated with an effective agent would be someone who speaks up in a believable manner, meaning they have a reason for speaking up in a calm powerful meaning. I found a lot of the videos very inspiring and meaningful. It makes me sad watching these videos knowing that people fight for their rights every day. I would have to say that I would never be able to be an activist; I’m definitely not that powerful or strong. What these activist do is amazing and I give a lot of credit for everything they do. I wish that everyone would listen to them, but unfortunately not everyone does. The activist I admire the most is Martin Luther King. I’m sure that many people could agree with me that the King was an amazing person. He was incredibly inspiring and he spoke up at a very rough time of life. We can all learn from the King to speak up rather than sit back and watch injustice.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that being an activist requires strength, but did you ever think about how you could be an activist in your own life? I know personally it would be very hard to go out and be extremely powerful in the face of adversaries, but in my own social circle I work for equality by explaining how I feel to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too explain how I feel to others because there is nothing wrong with being passionate about a cause that helps people. I think the problem with some activists seeming to be so passionate and to loud or obnoxious is because people who think that of them do not understand what it means to be passionate. I also think that people who would think that are apathetic to the cause from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are so many ways to be an activist, and we need to re-define what those myriad of ways looks like. It isn't just big famous figures who devout their whole life, full time, to a big social cause. it is everyday people, with families and full-time jobs, who find ways to do little and remarkable things to affect change. I don't expect everyone to be an "activist" or to take on that label, but I do hope for everyone to do their part. As MLK said: "Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve."

    ReplyDelete