Friday, January 21, 2011

Changes


We all have to remember that every little bit counts. If one person begins to speak up then the next will and so on. Before that even happens we have to realize what the problems are and how we can fix them. The dominant groups have the most power therefore they should go out and do things. Taking this course has helped me realize what is going on in our world and how to make changes. If everyone in this course takes something from it then changes are more bound to happen than before. I’m definitely not a very powerful person, but I can speak up to the people that surround me everyday like my family and friends. My friends and I will jokingly make racial comments or even sexist comments thinking it’s funny, but in reality I’m sure some of those comments we make we actually believe. Most of the comments the people around me make are based off of stereotypes. Stereotypes have such a powerful impact on a person’s thoughts and if my friends and I continuously joke about them, it does nothing but spread racism or sexism. So what I can do to make the world a better place than when I first entered it is to stop these comments. Whenever I hear the word “retard” I get extremely offended and I ask people to not say it. I get offended hearing that word because my aunt who passed was mentally challenged and my best friends sister is as well mentally challenged so it makes me angry because that word affects me personally. If it hurts me when people say the word “retard”, it must hurt some people when they hear racial or sexist comments. I and everyone else need to start thinking about others. The simplest and easiest way for all of us to start making changes is to speak up about the problems to people that surround our lives every day; family, friends, classmates, neighbors ,etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment