Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog 3


1. Out of my friends in high school I was definitely one of the ones that were most privileged.  Back in high school, every year our school would do several trips to different countries all over the world. A bunch of my friends and I wanted to go to Costa Rica. The trip was pretty expensive so we all needed help from our families. My parents didn’t have any trouble paying for the trip, but some of my friends weren’t able to go because the trip was too expensive. I definitely felt more privileged at the time because of my class.

2. When applying for colleges, I applied to several out of state schools. I honestly didn’t want to go to UNH, for the reason that so many people I knew went there and it was not in the city which I wanted to be in. After receiving all my financial paperwork back, UNH had the best offer financially by a significant amount. I obviously ended up choosing UNH. If it wasn’t for my economic status then I would most likely be going to school that I truly wanted to go to in the first place.


3. I have witnessed incidents of classism several times to one topic. When a person goes to community school, people tend to look down on them. One of my friends who attends one of the best schools in the nation always makes remarks or just has negative feelings towards those who attend community school. He thinks that mainly they don’t have enough money as well as they weren’t intelligent enough to get into a “better” school and that they aren’t getting good education.  All of those obviously aren’t true and people don’t realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment