Friday, January 21, 2011

Quick Blog 6


I would say my social sphere is very diverse in ages. I am the youngest of five kids and my oldest sister is 20 years older than me. I know 20 years doesn’t sound like that much, but when it comes to some things it can show a huge difference. I also have two nephews and a niece so I’m surrounded by children all the time when I go back to my hometown. When I’m at school I don’t really encounter young people or elders at all. I’m surrounded by students of my age each day and I live with five other girls that are my age, so being around young people is extremely rare and elders just as rare too.  At work I work with people of all ages since one job I work at a retail store and my other job I babysit three kids.

Young adults and middle age adults are the most advantaged and privileged because of their maturity level and their capability.  They’ve passed the big ages of 16,18, and 21 that allow them to do certain things. Young people are seen as irresponsible and incapable of taking care of themselves. As for old people they are often seen as incapable of taking care of themselves as well. These statements aren’t necessarily true for everyone but that’s how our society sees it. A big problem is that people don’t understand or realize that this discrimination is out there. We need to start realizing that it is a problem and disregarding the stereotypes that always get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment