Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Feminism

After watching this video I definitely have a different view on Feminism. When most people think of a feminist they think of an angry lesbian who hates men and anything to do with the opposite sex. It has nothing to do with hating men but it’s the want to be equal. Some feminist definitely might have anger towards men but it’s more so of a personal problem rather than a general feminist problem.  I believe a feminist just wants equality between women and men. There seems to be no definite definition of Feminism, but the overall purpose is to not only provide but for women to be seen and feel just as equal as men.
 
I have never really thought of myself as a feminist, but I never really gave it a long thought. I will admit that I definitely believed some of the myths on stereotypes of feminism that the media portrayed. After watching this video my views have completely changed and I was wrong. Obviously every woman wants to be treated as equally and want to think they are just as great as men. It’s whether or not you choose to fight for it and how you view the equality. Growing up with an older brother and playing all the same sports as him I never felt that one of us were better than the other. Even when growing up when school became the main focus I never felt that my brother was above my knowledge and was going to be more successful because he was a man and I was a woman. I would say that I’m not a feminist but I support those who are and can definitely see where they come from.
 
Another word known for a feminist is a “Feminazi”. Clearly that word shows how people feel for feminist and where they believe it is heading. I don’t necessarily think feminism is on the decline in today’s society but I believe it has settled down. You really don’t hear much about feminism or see many things on it anymore or at least like you use to. Most people have definitely learned to accept feminist and feminism ways.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked and agreed with your definition. I also liked that you pointed out that there is no definite definition of Feminism. I also feel as if the false notions linked to feminism have caused people to believe that these angry, lesbian, feminazi's have an undeniable impact on how people feel abut feminism and where it is heading today.

    I also wrote in my blog that I do not believe feminism is on the decline today. I really liked how you incorporated that although there is clearly misconceptions and people who have created harsh stereotypes for feminism, causing people to kind of run the other way; it continues to settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The term "feminazi" has been used to hurt feminism as a whole, and to hurt individual feminists. I remember being in a class as an undergrad where I and several other feminists were called this by anti-feminists in a women's history class. The goal of people who use this epithet is to shut us up. That is why Rush Limbaugh, far right-wing conservative ideologue, invented the term. Luckily, fair-minded people see the absurdity of this term and how it is used to try to discredit a positive movement for social equality.

    ReplyDelete