Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog 4


Before even hearing of Willow Smith and knowing she was Will Smiths daughter I had no idea of her age. If I had to guess from just hearing that song I would say that she was at least 18. From watching the music video she is clearly not 18, she is actually 10 years old. I don’t think that this video or song is very appropriate for children her age. If ten year olds or even children a few years younger or older watch Willows music videos they will start to think that it’s acceptable to start dressing that way, it’s okay to wear make-up as well as dance that way. Obviously nothing is wrong with wearing make-up , dancing that way , or even dressing that way since her clothing wasn’t revealing but the way the media portrays these ideas it is seen as “sexy” for children her age. Honestly I don’t feel the video or lyrics are too inappropriate itself, but since a child that is ten years old is singing it, it is. The song is pretty silly and personally not that enjoyable. In the video it’s clear that the dancers are all black, and that a much known stereotype is that white people can’t dance.  I have without a doubt seen much worse videos, so I don’t think this video is necessarily inappropriate. Usually the singer or rapper target their age group or relatively close to theirs, so in that case Willow isn’t a very good role model for children her age.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought about how old she was until watching this video either and also looked up her age right afterwards and was shocked that she is only 9/10 years old. She portrays an image that makes young girls believe that girls that age should be acting a certain way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both, I think that her dancing actually isn't too bad or "sexy", too me she seemed to just be bopping around like a kid. I can't believe that she is ten years old though, I don't know if all ten year old's should be taught to wear such make up in order to seem "cool".

    ReplyDelete